As early as this February, providers will phase out their support of more than 22 million 3G communications devices—including critical equipment your solar system uses to measure, record, and communicate production data. Depending on the component makeup of that particular system, this can be either a revenue-grade meter or the CDMA/GSM modem within certain inverter models.
As a result of this phaseout, these modems/meters will fall out of compliance for the minting of SRECs and receipt of quarterly payments to solar system owners.
To prevent this sunset from impacting you, SRECTrade has partnered with 365 Pronto to remove and dispose of old 3G modems or meters and replace them with new 4G/5G modems or meters that follow the regulations and network communications needed for verified SREC payments to system owners.
While there is no fine or penalty for not having this equipment swapped out, system owners who choose not to upgrade will soon stop receiving quarterly SREC payments, negatively impacting their expected return on investment from their solar installation(s).
Pricing, Payment, and Rollout
System owners are responsible for the cost of this replacement equipment and related labor. SRECTrade is committed to helping our customers keep costs low, so we have negotiated preferred pricing with 365 Pronto, our technology and logistics partner. This pricing is conditional on the system owner registering for the replacement in a timely manner when the rollout has reached their geographical region.
The rollout is being conducted in phases and is currently underway in Massachusetts, with a registration deadline of Monday, February 7, 2022.
If you delay the registration—or do so outside the period within your region—we cannot guarantee the agreed-upon preferred price.
Massachusetts SREC Market
Current SREC market prices are around $300/MWh/SREC. For the average system size of 7 kW, this represents a potential loss of $2,100 per year in quarterly SREC credit payments for Massachusetts residents. For systems larger than the average, the loss could be even greater.
If you are a Massachusetts resident receiving quarterly SREC payments, the process begins by visiting the replacement program entry page to help determine whether you need a meter replacement or a modem replacement:
Replace Your Meter – Sign Up with 365 Pronto
From there you’ll complete a simple, step-by-step, online interface to register your system. Completing the application to register your system takes less than 10 minutes. You will be asked to:
- Verify the accuracy of our records about your system and site location
- Make an initial payment for the work to commence
- Provide the best contact information for a local provider to contact you and schedule the work
We estimate that your meter will arrive 30-40 days after you purchase it. Once your 365 Pronto service provider has your equipment in stock, they will reach out to you to schedule the installation. In many cases, the homeowner does not have to be present during the installation.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a revenue-grade meter?
- The meter is what your solar system uses to communicate your solar output with SRECTrade. Without this meter, we cannot determine how many SRECs to mint to you.
- Why is this replacement necessary?
- Wireless communications protocols become obsolete over time, and the wireless carriers (Verizon, AT&T, etc.) are phasing out old networks (2G/3G) in favor of faster, upgraded networks. Many solar systems installed more than three years ago likely have equipment designed for the network technology of the time (2G/3G).
- What is 365 Pronto?
- 365 Pronto is our technology and logistics partner. It is a technology platform company matching asset owners (you) with an on-demand qualified workforce (local service providers) through automated technology. Because of its unique model, it can service the entirety of SRECTrade’s systems under trading.
- How much will a new meter cost?
- SRECTrade negotiated a lower-than-market price for this work of $1,193.40; however, you’re eligible for a 20% in-market price discount on your meter if you register for your replacement before Monday, February 7, 2022. That means a reduced price of $998.70*, but you’ve got to book in this time frame for when 365 Pronto is conducting the work in your area.
- *Disclaimer: Price is subject to i) applicable sales tax on equipment and ii) change, based on availability and when you reserve your meter. Once your 365 Pronto service provider has your meter in stock, they will reach out to you to schedule the installation.
- Can I use my original installer?
- Yes, you may contact your installer to ask about having this work performed. However, providers who are not part of the 365 Pronto network may not be able to guarantee the same price. This is why it is important to book your meter replacement with 365 Pronto before Monday, February 7, 2022 and reserve your discounted price.
- When will my new meter be installed?
- The ongoing effects of the pandemic have caused worker shortages, which have impacted factory production of goods, including meter. Delays at major ports have slowed down shipping and delivery schedules even more.
- Once your 365 Pronto service provider has your equipment in stock, they will reach out to you to schedule the installation. At that time, 365 Pronto will process your payment for the installation. In some cases, the homeowner does not have to be present during the installation. However, if the unit is in the garage, it may be necessary for you to be present during the installation.
- Do I need to do anything once the new meter is installed?
- No. Once your new meter is installed, it will begin to communicate your solar output with SRECTrade as normal. If you have questions about your account, please email email@example.com.
- How do I know my meter is working?
- We understand that there is a delay between when your output is recorded and when your SRECs are minted. We will provide email confirmation to let you know that the system is working. If you have questions about your account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Will my meter stop working after the SREC deadline and interrupt my SRECs?
- Your meter will continue to monitor your output; however, it will no longer communicate directly with SRECTrade after the 3G sunset, which is scheduled to happen as early as February 2022. If you have specific questions about your SREC account, please contact ma.renewables@SRECTrade.com.
- What is the meter model type and manufacturer that is being used for the replacement(s)? Is it up to the installer?
- Installers do not have a choice in the type of replacement meter they install. They will replace your meter with the Cat M1 ArrayMeter.
- Whom should I contact to cancel a work order? Is this possible in the first place?
- If, on the rare occasion, a customer wishes to cancel an order, they should submit the request to email@example.com.
- Is the 365 Pronto Wizard secure?
- The security of the 365 Pronto platform and website is paramount, and we treat customer information with the utmost care. Information is captured by 365 Pronto through our platform and stored on AWS servers. 365 Pronto is an AWS native platform, and for that reason, we use the Well-Architected framework provided by that cloud provider. We follow the design principles proposed in their security pillar. These include principles such as (1) Implementing a strong identity foundation, (2) Enabling traceability, (3) Applying security at all layers, (4) Automating security best practices, (5) Protecting data in transit and at rest, (6) Keeping people away from our data, and (7) Preparation for security events. Anyone with additional questions should reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Is there a 365 Pronto customer service phone number to call for assistance with registering? How can clients sign up if they do not have a computer?
- Currently, we offer chat support via the website and email support. Although we can help customers with the process, they need to access our platform to purchase their meter. They can log into the sign-up wizard from any browser on a phone, laptop, or device of their choice. Anyone with questions should reach out to email@example.com.